Includes quartz composite countertops and hardwood floors.
The New Year has begun and new styles are already being developed. Design trends are evolving, and whether you prefer traditional or contemporary, there is bound to be something just for you.
With that said, an interior designer affiliated with Neil Kelly Co. reveals in TimesReporter.com what the average homeowner currently likes best in this countdown:
10. Kitchen — Clean and simple leads the pack, and that means contemporary style. Perhaps the preference indicates a need for a less-fussy life in the kitchen.
9. Countertop — Quartz composite is the top choice, and yes, it is replacing the great granite top. Quartz composite seems to be the best, no-maintenance finish.
8. Hardwood floors — This one has been coming for a while now, moving up as the floor of choice. There is a richness and beauty to a good hardwood floor that is timeless.
7. Glass backsplash — Not the same old, same old mosaic tile, but instead a glass and stone tile mosaic. The interest in this combination makes sense since it gives visual interest as well as texture. A back-painted solid glass backsplash also fits this theme, particularly in contemporary kitchens.
6. Simplicity for the sink — The double sink is out. The deep single sink is in.
5. Kitchen color — Deep gray, as in charcoal, is in. It is taking the place of — or at least competing with — stainless steel.
4. Stone finish — Calacatta marble is the choice, and it’s one that works in both contemporary and traditional settings. It is especially popular in the bathroom.
3. Texture and sparkle — Accents of gold and/or silver with glossy glass tiles and nickel fixtures burst forth this year.
2. Multigenerational living and living longer on your own – Easy-to-work-in kitchens and safer baths are becoming very popular, and are the cutting edge of this trend.
And the winner is…
1. Healthy home — Green is in. Homes that are free of toxins and are more energy-efficient have been growing more and more popular, and have become the No. 1 priority for this year.